Today marks the start of my favourite “challenge”- Mindful In May (MIM). This will be the third time I have participated in MIM and the benefits for me have been noticeable, significant and sustained. For example, I find it much easier to deal with negative emotions within myself and also from others, I am able to “switch off” from worries rather than get caught up in them, I eat more mindfully which helps to recognise hunger and fullness cues, and I can achieve a state of relaxation within minutes.
What is Mindfulness?
Just like our bodies need regular training to keep fit, our minds need training too to function at their best. Mindfulness is really a form of mental training that supports the mind to be more focused, clear and calm and enhances our emotional intelligence.
Mindfulness is a particular type of awareness that develops through the practice of mindfulness meditation – a technique of paying attention, on purpose, to the present moment with openness, curiosity and non-judgement. Through the regular practice of mindfulness one develops more focus, concentration and capacity to respond effectively rather than react impulsively to life’s daily challenges.
There is now compelling evidence supporting the fact that mindfulness meditation when practised regularly, can lead to:
• Structural changes in the brain associated with enhanced mental performance
• Reduced stress and its negative impact on the body and mind
• Improved physical and mental well-being
• Reduced genetic ageing through its protective impact on gene expression and degeneration
• Increased happiness
• Enhanced immune function
How to join my team for Mindful In May:
- It’s only a $30 fee to register for the challenge which gets you the entire one month online mindfulness program. Register through the website and you’ll get a daily educational email and meditation practice starting today
- Join my team: Mindful4Life so we can pool our fundraising efforts and watch our impact as a team. We can also keep each other motivated. If we’re amongst the top 10 fundraiser teams we’ll be featured on the MIM website and spotlighted on their social media as a Mindful in May champion. If you have already signed up but would like to be part of my team, send me a message and I will transfer you over.
- Come June your brain will be re-wired for the better with greater clarity, calm and focus. You’re fundraising will have transformed the lives of thousands in need. It’s a win, win. Clear mind for you, Clean water for others.
- NB: The registration fee is not a donation but helps to keep Mindful in May running each year. Donations to Charity Water are not tax-deductible outside of the USA.
I have one free entry to give away for the wonderful Mindful In May experience. For a chance to win, let me know your answer to the following question:
What is the one way you would like mindfulness to help transform your life for the better?